Thursday, October 26, 2017

To the Lady at Walmart

You know who hates shopping with kids?


No seriously, I avoid it all cost. But now that I'm home all the time and my kids are always with me, I can't do it any other way. I wait until Freddy is in school and then Cameron and I shop together. It's been fun actually. The hardest part has become the checkout line. I can't get Cameron to sit still, little stinker. But I don't blame him. It's taken at least an hour to decide what to get and now he is done. And so am I, but I still have to check out. 

Though multiple times I have thought about slipping out of the store with my goods and coming back without my children to pay. Don't do that. I was kidding.

I digress.

The other day Cameron and I were doing our weekly grocery run. Shopping has also become harder with much less to spend. I have to be careful with every purchase and unfortunately I do not have the knack or patience for couponing. So I have to take extra time and weigh what we are able to get. Do I want bananas or oranges this week? Am I willing to get the boys poptarts for their traditional Saturday pop-tart tradition or get a few extra cans for meals. It's discouraging. I hate when my kids ask for things...especially now when even if I would, I can't. But I have come to terms with it. Wants vs needs. It's a no-brainer...just humbling. 

So we're checking out and Cameron is getting impatient. The last few shopping trips, I have been able to give him this little windmill toy fan that has candy inside to entertain him while I checkout. And then I have to take it away so we can leave. One minute of crying is better than ten minutes at the checkout line. I have also come to terms with this. 

This one day, Cameron was contently playing with his windmill candy toy. (He doesn't yet know it has candy. Shhh, don't tell him!) Anyway, a sweet lady behind us was chatting with us and Cameron was "flirting" with her. He's a cutie, I tell you. You can't not smile at him. When I was ready to go, I discreetly took away the windmill candy toy. Cameron is two, so of course a tantrum followed, and I prepared for a speedy exit while waiting for my receipt to print. 

The lady behind us said, "Oh please let me get that for him. It's just a little thing." 

I shook my head. The hardest part of having so little is that I am scared of what others will think. Plus, I don't regularly give my children candy. It does crazy things to them. 

But she insisted. "Please. It will make me so happy to give it to him." 

Now many times I am frustrated when others try to spoil my kids when I am trying to teach a lesson. Like don't always give them what they want kind-of-thing. But today was different. My kids don't get spoiled enough now and I tearfully thanked the sweet lady for spending the extra...I don't know two dollars on the windmill candy toy. 

It's the little things that make my life special now. Getting the two dollars at Dunkin Donuts on T-Mobile Tuesdays and being able to share a treat with my kids. Trip to grandma's and enjoying noodles of some kind with them. Taking a walk and visiting the park. And yes, even the random act of kindness from a stranger.

Showing them that material things don't matter, but that when they come, you are grateful. Lesson learned today.

And a special thank you to the random Walmart shopper who probably had no impact of what she helped me learn. Thank you <3


2 comments:

  1. Oh bless. Its a tough line to walk as a stranger - too many times I have had strangers offer candy when I've had a kid in full tantrum mode and I've been furious and had to ask them not to! BUT I love that it made your kid happy today :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I don't like when strangers off things during tantrums either. It doesn't solve anything lol

      Delete

I love comments! Share your own mommyhood comments :)

Conquering Fears in Mommyhood

Today was such a cool mom day. I hesitate to say that because shouldn't every day be a cool mom day? But in reality, for me, it'...